World Challenge presented by Northwestern Mutual
Venue: Sherwood Country Club, Thousand Oaks, California
Date: Nov 29 - Dec 2
Course stats: par 72, 7,027 yards
Purse: $4,000,000 Winner: $1,200,000
Defending Champion: Tiger Woods (-10)
It was this tournament last year where Tiger Woods broke his 2-year winless drought and kick started some much-needed life into his game.
Woods is far and away the favorite to repeat this year, getting less than 3-1 odds to take home the winner's check. Eighteen of the world's best will try to stop him in a stellar field that is only missing Phil Mickelson from this year's U.S. Ryder Cup team.
Sherwood isn't a long course, but accuracy is a must with over 1,500 Oak Trees and its share of water. Here are some handicapping notes to consider for every player in the field:
Tiger Woods +250
- Worst finish is T-8 last four events. Ranked second in scoring avg. this season. Dustin Johnson +1200
- Fourth in driving distance. 158th in driving accuracy. Four straight Top 10's in Aug.-Sept. Jim Furyk +1200
- Ranked fourth in driving accuracy this season. Jason Dufner +1300
- Top 7 in six of his last 12 tourneys and was a star for U.S. at Ryder Cup. Longest current consecutive cut streak on Tour with 21.Bo Van Pelt +1300
- Third in total driving, 11th in strokes gained putting. Most Top 10s on Tour this year with 10. Zach Johnson +1400
- Third in overall putting. 14th in overall driving. Runner-up here last year. Brandt Snedeker +1400
- Led Tour in one-putt percentage this season. Ian Poulter +1400
- Coming off big win at HSBC Championships in China.Nick Watney +1600
- 134th in driving accuracy percentage. Matt Kuchar +1600
- T-4 here last year. Last place year before. Hasn't played since the Ryder Cup.Bubba Watson +1600
- Longest man on Tour. Second in greens in regulation percentage. Fourth in scoring average. Webb Simpson +1600
- Fifth in overall putting this year. Has had at least one round of 66 or better in his last four tourneys.Keegan Bradley +2000
- First in all-around ranking this season. Hunter Mahan +2000
- Finished second in total driving in 2012 and has never finished worse than seventh in this event going back to 2008.Jason Day +2000
- Tough season. Solid play lately though with seven of last nine rounds in 60s. Graeme McDowell +2000 -
Ranked fifth in driving accuracy this season. Won here in 2010.
Steve Stricker +2000
- Hasn't played since going oh-fer at the Ryder Cup. "It still lingers," he said Tuesday. Rickie Fowler +3300
- Has only broken 70 three times in past 22 rounds. Finished T-6 here last year though.