Texas Rangers at New York Yankees (-119, 10)
Beating the Yankees in New York continues to be an arduous task for the Texas Rangers. The Rangers attempt to avoid their eighth straight loss at Yankee Stadium when the teams meet in Wednesday’s third contest of a four-game set. Nick Swisher has two homers and seven RBIs as New York posted victories in the first two games. The Yankees have a 1.5-game lead over Texas for the top record in the American League.
New York has won seven of eight games and its .595 winning percentage in third best in the majors behind the Washington Nationals and Cincinnati Reds. The potent Texas offense leads the majors with 580 runs scored but has struck just twice in the series and was blanked on two hits by Hiroki Kuroda on Tuesday. Swisher hit a tiebreaking two-run homer and Mark Teixeira also went deep. Teixeira has homered in three of the last six games and is 6-for-15 against Rangers starter Scott Feldman. Texas maintained a six-game lead in the American League West as the Oakland Athletics also lost. New York is six games ahead of the Tampa Bay Rays in the AL East.TV:
7:05 p.m. ET, ESPN, Fox Sports Southwest (Texas), YES (New York)WEATHER:
There is a chance of thunderstorms in the Bronx Wednesday night. The forecast is calling for a 61 percent chance of rain.PITCHING MATCHUP:
Rangers RH Scott Feldman (6-7, 4.64 ERA) vs. Yankees RH Freddy Garcia (6-5, 4.85)
Feldman won six consecutive decisions before losing his last outing, when he gave up four runs and six hits in 5 2/3 innings against the Detroit Tigers. He has walked just six batters in his last 11 appearances, which includes nine starts. Feldman is 3-2 with a 4.85 ERA in seven career appearances (five starts) against the Yankees.
Garcia has won back-to-back starts following a three-game losing streak. He defeated the Toronto Blue Jays in his last outing when he allowed two runs and five hits in six innings. Garcia hasn’t lost to Texas since 2004 and is 8-5 with a 4.10 ERA in 22 career starts against the Rangers.TRENDS:
* Under is 3-1-1 in Feldmans last five starts vs. Yankees.
* Rangers are 2-7 in the last nine meetings.
* Rangers are 0-7 in the last seven meetings in New York.UMP TRENDS - Victor Carapazza
* Home team is 4-0 in Carapazzas last four games behind home plate vs. Texas.
* Over is 3-1-2 in Carapazzas last six games behind home plate.WALK-OFFS:
1. Yankees SS Derek Jeter is batting .383 during a 10-game hitting streak and has a .385 career mark with two homers in 13 at-bats against Feldman.
2. Rangers 2B Ian Kinsler is just 1-for-13 in his career against Garcia.
3. New York OF Curtis Granderson is hitting just .205 in 30 games since the All-Star break but is 5-for-9 with three homers against Feldman.