Baltimore Orioles (44-37) at Los Angeles Angels (45-37)TIME:
10:05 PM ESTWHERE:
Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Anaheim, CaliforniaLINE:
136, -145 TOTAL: 8.5
With growing concerns about the starting rotation, the Los Angeles Angels are counting on rookie right-hander Garrett Richards to right the ship when they open a four-game home series against the Baltimore Orioles. Right-handers Dan Haren and Ervin Santana had rough outings as the Angels dropped the final two games of their series at Cleveland, leaving Los Angeles in need of a strong start from Richards to help the overworked bullpen recover.
Starting pitching has not been a problem this week for Baltimore, which had Wei-Yin Chen take a perfect game into the seventh on Tuesday and Chris Tillman give up just two hits in 8 1/3 innings Wednesday. At 44-37, the overachieving Orioles have their best record at the halfway point of the season since they had the same mark through 81 games in 2005. TV
: 10:05 p.m. ET, MASN2 (Baltimore), Fox Sports West (Los Angeles)PITCHING MATCHUP:
Orioles RH Jake Arrieta (3-9, 5.81 ERA) vs. Angels RH Garrett Richards (2-1, 2.81)
Arrieta's inconsistent season continued Friday against Cleveland, as he allowed five runs on eight hits over 3 2/3 innings. He has lost seven of his last eight decisions and has just one win since May 2. Arrieta is 0-1 with a 5.25 ERA in two starts against the Angels. The loss came April 21 in Anaheim, as he allowed five runs in 4 1/3 innings.
Richards posted quality starts in each of his first four major-league starts this season, but the shine came off a bit Saturday at Toronto. He was touched up for 10 runs (five earned) on nine hits in 4 1/3 innings and suffered his first loss. Richards made one relief appearance against the Orioles last season and allowed one run on two hits in one inning.
BETTING NOTES AND TRENDS:
- Eight of the last nine Angels games have gone over the total
- The Orioles are 3-7 in their last 10 vs. a team with a winning record
- The Orioles are 0-6 in Arrieta's last 6 starts as a road underdog of +110 to +150
- The Angels have won their last four series openers
- The Angels are 20-7 in their last 27 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30
- The Angels are 27-12 in their last 39 overall
- The over is 8-1 in Orioles last 9 vs. American League West
- Under is 24-7-2 in Angels last 33 games following a loss
- Orioles are 1-5 in the last 6 meetings in Los Angeles
1. Orioles OF Adam Jones hit his team-leading 20th home run Wednesday - 12 of them have either tied games or given Baltimore the lead. The Orioles are 16-3 when Jones hits a home run.
2. Angels 2B Howard Kendrick, who got the day off Wednesday, is riding a nine-game hitting streak during which he is batting .368 (14-for-38). Teammate Kendrys Morales is 13-for-33 (.394) during his eight-game hitting streak.
3. Orioles 1B Mark Reynolds went 2-for-4 on Wednesday to snap an 0-for-20 skid and record his first multi-hit game since June 14.