BC Lions at Saskatchewan Roughriders (-5.5, 53)
The Saskatchewan Roughriders are facing their biggest adversity of the season after dropping consecutive games for the first time and losing league-leading running back Kory Sheets to a sprained knee. The Roughriders will try to maintain their position in the West Division when they host the BC Lions on Sunday. Saskatchewan quarterback Darian Durant, who threw for 369 yards last week but was also intercepted three times, will be looked upon to carry the offense in Sheets’ absence.
The Lions could tie second-place Saskatchewan in the standings with a victory, but will be without starting quarterback Travis Lulay (arm injury). Lulay will miss at least two games, leaving the starting spot open for backup Thomas DeMarco or recently acquired veteran pivot Buck Pierce. Without Lulay, BC running back Andrew Harris will likely play a bigger role in the offense after having his carries limited recently by minor injuries.
TV: 4:30 p.m. ET, TSN
ABOUT THE LIONS (7-4): DeMarco has completed 6-of-11 passes for 57 yards and one touchdown in spot duty this season, while also running for a touchdown. Wide receiver Emmanuel Arceneaux (649) and slotbacks Nick Moore (642) and Courtney Taylor (572) have caught over 500 receiving yards. Kick returner Tim Brown is second in the league with 1,361 combined return yards and has provided BC with good field position all season - a role that becomes ever more vital in Lulay’s absence.
ABOUT THE ROUGHRIDERS (8-3): Slotback Geroy Simon will face his old team for the first time on Sunday. Simon recorded 14,756 of his record 16,128 career receiving yards with BC and is five catches away from tying Ben Cahoon for the CFL all-time reception record. Slotback Weston Dressler - Saskatchewan’s third-leading receiver - missed last week’s game but should return to the lineup on Sunday. Linebacker Renauld Williams, who will miss the remainder of the season with a torn ACL, was missed last week by the Roughriders, who allowed a season-high 31 points at home.
* Under is 4-1 in the last five meetings in Saskatchewan.
* Lions are 6-2 ATS in their last eight meetings.
* Roughriders are 1-5 ATS in their last six games overall.
* Under is 4-0 in Lions last four games in Week 13.
1. Saskatchewan S Tyron Brackenridge was fined an undisclosed amount by the league for a dangerous hit to the head of Toronto RB Chad Kackert in last week’s game.
2. Pierce began his CFL career with the Lions, starting 34 games over five seasons.
3. The Roughriders are 4-1 at home. BC is 1-4 on the road.