Arkansas State vs. Florida International (+1, 57)
7:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU
1. This line opened with Florida International as a 1.5-point favorite and had moved 2.5 points as of Wednesday night to where FIU was a 1-point underdog. (Line moved to FIU +2 Thursday morning).
2. True freshman E.J. Hilliard will make his first college start and second appearance for FIU. FIU lost starting quarterback Jake Medlock to a broken foot last week.
3. Florida International starting running back Kedrick Rhodes is 'day to day' due to an ankle injury. He looked tentative when forced into duties last week against Lousiana-Lafayette due to an unspecified injury to No. 2 tailback Darian Mallary. The Panthers are hopeful Mallary can return but his status is unclear.
4. Fortunately for FIU, Arkansas State specializes in rushing (ranked 14th in the nation with 242 ypg) but not stopping it (ranked 113th with 224 ypg against). The Red Wolves rank 10th at stopping the pass though.
5. "...The second goal is to put a game plan in that your guys can execute on a short period of time... You've got to be careful about doing too much." - ASU coach Gus Malzahn in his weekly press conference this week.
6. Could be a simple game plan for Arkansas State - and for both schools on a short week. For whatever it's worth, the over/under is 7-13 in the 20 weekday college football games that had pointspreads this season.
7. Neither of these teams have allowed fewer than 26 points against an FBS program in nine games combined this season and the over/under is 4-1 in FIU games.
8. Posters in the Covers thread appear to be leaning toward Arkansas State. Consensus players are more evenly split with 52 percent on ASU.
9. The home team has won the last five meetings in this series straight up. The last four meetings have gone under the total.